How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10914
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My wife (and I) are in small claims court on 1st October for

Resolved Question:

My wife (and I) are in small claims court on 1st October for an alleged credit card default; is there a point at which we can no longer file a witness statement - does it need to be submitted before say, 7 days prior to to the court hearing.
Also what steps do i need to take to be allowed to represent my wife as a lay person? Can i just attend and announce it or do i need to make a formal application?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Yes unless the court orders otherwise your statement needs to be filed 14 days before any hearing.
Alex Watts : Can I claiify anything for you about this today please?

what happens I the instance that we havent filed one in time? I assume we are still anle to present a case?

Alex Watts : That depends on the judge. You need to do it NOW
Alex Watts : ordinarily you would be debarred from giving evicence, so do it now so the judge is more likely to grant it
Alex Watts : Does that clairfy?

yes, I need to do it asap. I have previously submitted a defence on the initial court form and the witness statement probably wouldnt add much more to the case. Does the same deadline apply to my representing my wife (albeit she will still be in attendance)?

Alex Watts : Yes all statements 14 days beforehand
Alex Watts : So please do it ASAP
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else about this for you please?

My representing my wife isnt a statement as such more a notice. Is that still the case; my wife wouldn't be able to represent herself as she would be far too nervous.

Alex Watts : You can represent your wife if she goes to court, you just ask the judges permission which is usually given in a small claim

so i dont need to advise them before hand?

Alex Watts : No you do not
Alex Watts : You can do it in

Thanks that answers my questions

Alex Watts : you can do it on the day
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10914
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice