Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have an access way that runs along the eastern boundary of

I have an access way that runs along the eastern boundary of my land providing access to my rear garden I share this access with two other properties. One of these has recently set up a bed and breakfast business and are using this access (to the rear of their property) for this purpose instead of using their main entrance. Is this allowable in law as obviously I now have many people using this access. I thought it was only for the use of people living there and there family and friends etc. not for business, can you give me some advice
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Unless the wording to the right of way is worded so as to restrict who can use it (which is unlikely), then the right "attaches" to each property, which means that whoever needs to gain access to the property (ie the users of the B&B) has a right to do so, I'm afraid.
Please feel free to quote me the wording to the right of way, but unless there is any restriction in the wording, then all and sundry who are using the B&B are free to use the access.
I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but sets out the legal position.
Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

exact wording is "providing access to the rear of my Property and that access way has ben used by me and my agents, servants and friends"

Hi Jacqui,
Thanks for your reply.
It appears to me that the wording is general, as I expected, so I'm afraid my previous answer remains the same.
Kind Regards
AL