12826847

My aunt lent my mother £3000 back in June 2011. My mother was

My aunt lent my mother £3000 back in June 2011. My mother was going to pay her back when her flat was sold because she had dementia she was moved into a care home. I didn't know at the time but because of her dementia she did pay her bills and her flat was reposseced by the Halifax building society in July. My mother had a stroke in October 2011 and died. I have received a letter from a solicitor from my aunt saying she wants her money back from me, ( which I cannot afford). There was no money left from my mothers estate when she died. Can my aunt come after me for the money.
Does she accept that there was no money left?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She does know that my mothers flat was repossessed by the Halifax and that she had no savings.
If your mother dies leaving no savings and no assets or any other kind of surplus after the payment of the funeral, then her debts die with her.
You are not liable for the debts.
Write back to the solicitor and tell them that your mother's house was repossessed, she had no savings and no assets and there was not even enough money to pay for her funeral (if that was the case) and therefore if they want to sue the estate, they are welcome to do so but there is no money even if they are successful.