LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I have been a housing association tenant since 1978. The property

I have been a housing association tenant since 1978. The property in which I live is subsidng and deemed uninhabitable. The H.A. wants me to move permanently to another property. They have told me that I qualify for a 'home loss' payment of £4,700, and that 'this figure has been fixed by Statutory Order'.
I have since found out that under the 1973 Land Compensation Act, the minimum payment for home loss is £4,700 and the maximum is £47,000. I do not not think that £4,700 is adequate compensation for giving up my home of 36plus years!
Am I legally entitled to insist that the H.A. pays me more than the minimum home loss payment?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

There are variable home loss payments up to £47,00 but these payments are for owner occupiers (ie freeholders or owners of a leasehold interest with over 3 years left to run) I am afraid. They can get 10% of the market value up to a maximum of £47,000. Tenants are in a different position and are entitled to a home loss payment at an amount currently fixed at £4,700.