13262538

i have to move house and after paying £150 per month was told

i have to move house and after paying £150 per month was told by the legal aid board i would not have to pay any more .this was feb 13 i requested it in writing numerous time to no avail. now to move house my house selling solicitor say they require £20,000 to enable us to sell the house.the original cost against me was £19,800 and i paid 13 years at 150 per month and was never told i would be paying interest which they say has aqued
we are moving but i have to now take advice to get money back and no facts or figures have been forwarded to me where do i stand
When was the Statutory Charge placed on the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

12th july 2006

So the case ended and the Charge was placed on the property in 2006 - but you continued to make monthly payments is that correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes until feb 2013 i managed to contact legal aid in december 2012 and was told on the phone that my last payment would be feb 2013 of £114

after requesting many times for written conformation i recieved nothing and in feb 2013 the amount stopped being taken out not by me but them

i then assumed the debt was paid as i had paid £150 a month for 13 years . in november 2013 i recieved a letter from legal aid saying i owed £30 863 56p and should make contact arrangments to pay it this it says is due to the accrul of interest which is indeed a very high rate.having gone ahead with sale of the property we now have to pay £20000 to them to discharge it we move on friday and although it will be settled it would be nice to get it back and not let anyone fall into the same problem

The interest rate on the statutory charge is indeed high - and variable - the table is here
Applicable Dates Interest Rates
01/12/1988 to 31/12/1991 12%
01/01/1992 to 31/08/1993 10.5%
01/09/1993 to 31/03/2002 8%
01/04/2002 to 30/09/05 5%
01/10/2005 to Present 8%
Allowing for the fact that you paid £150 a month from 2006 to 2013 the figure given seems correct
However you are still entitled to a full breakdown of the amount outstanding and a justification of the amount requested.
I am sorry to give you bad news - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how do i get a full breakdown of the amount and justifications as on the judgement it does not mention the rate of interest is it possible to get a copy of the initial judgement from my original legal representative so i can justify and compare what was deemed and what the legal aid requires thankyou for your assistance

The Statutory Charge is not related to the Judgement itself.
Legal Aid is a loan and not a gift and accordingly you have to repay the legal costs that you incurred during the case.
The rate of interest is set by Statute
http://www.bdfm.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/paying-for-your-legal-aid.pdf
You are of course entitled to write to the Legal Services Commission and ask for a full breakdown