75100385

I was recently involved in an accident, whereby the driver

I was recently involved in an accident, whereby the driver of a vehicle in front of me braked sharply at a set of traffic lights, the vehicle in front was up to the line when the lights changed to amber, and as I braked the wheels locked and skidded into the rear of the vehicle in front. At the time we were both travelling approximately 5 mile an hour. We both pulled over and on inspection of the vehicle in front I could see no visible damage and neither could the other driver. We exchanged names and addresses. I heard no more from the other driver until yesterday 26 days after incident when I was sent a letter from the other party with an estimate from a garage dated 11 days after the incident for in excess of £500 and in the body of the letter was told the work would take several days so a replacement car would be needed. I have informed my insurance company however I feel that in view of the length of time that has past and the fact that no damage was visible at the time am I still liable?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Did you take any photographs of the vehicle at the time of collision please?

Customer:

Unfortunately not.

Alex Watts :

Ok - this is what is called a Low Velocity Impact and you are saying that it was such a low speed it could not have caused the accident.

Alex Watts :

You can either deal with this yourself or go through your insurance.

Alex Watts :

The process is the same. If you refuse to pay proceedings may be issued for the debt as a result of the accident

Alex Watts :

You (or insurance) would raise in the defence that it is LVI and causation is an issue (ie such a low speed)

Alex Watts :

The Court would then list the matter for hearing and decide whether it was fast enough

Alex Watts :

The claimant (the other side) brings the claim and therefore has to prove it

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Thank you for your help. I think I will just pass on my insurance details to her and let the insurance companies decide.