29905560

my step son got sacked from his job at @first parts in lakeside

my step son got sacked from his job at @first parts in lakeside and I feel the whole thing was not in the right procedure as I went with him to the meeting he had and the management that held the meeting was rood and even on the statements that was made the other person who was envolved actually said it was his fault but they still let my step son go
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long did he work there for?

Customer:

he worked there for just over two years

Customer:

sorry hi ben

Ben Jones :

Why was he actually dismissed?

Customer:

he was dismissed because another member of staff was argueing with him because everybody was told they had to start picking parts for themselves so they all know where parts are and the other person starting rowing with my step son and got up in his face so mike my step son pushed him back to stop him and then other members of staff grabbed mike but there was a supervisor in the area and he did nothing

Ben Jones :

when was he sacked?

Customer:

yesterday evening around half five

Customer:

by phone but the other person was back in work today and this is after he admitted on his statement was his fault

Ben Jones :

ok thanks let me get my response ready please

Customer:

I have not received a message yet ben

Ben Jones :

Hi I have not posted one yet

Ben Jones :

The law in this situation is that misconduct is a common reason for taking disciplinary action and it is also a potentially fair reason for dismissal under the Employment Rights Act 1996. It could be a single act of serious misconduct or a series of less serious acts over a period of time.

In order to justify that dismissal on grounds of misconduct was fair, the law requires that the employer:

• Conducts a reasonable investigation;

• Follows a fair disciplinary procedure;

• Has reasonable grounds for believing the employee was guilty; and

• Show that dismissal was a decision that a reasonable employer would have taken in the circumstances.

In addition, the employer is expected to follow the ACAS Code of Practice on disciplinary and grievance procedures. Altogether, it means that a disciplinary procedure should be conducted as follows:

1. Investigation - a reasonable investigation is needed. What is reasonable depends entirely on the circumstances and especially the nature and seriousness of the allegations. The more serious these are, the more detailed the investigation needs to be.

2. Disciplinary hearing - if the investigation provides sufficient evidence of misconduct, the employee may be invited to attend a formal disciplinary hearing. They must be given prior notice of the hearing, including details of the allegations, allowing them time to prepare. They have the legal right to be accompanied at the hearing but only by a trade union representative or a colleague.

3. Decision and penalty - following the disciplinary, if the employer holds a genuine belief that the employee was guilty, then they can go ahead and dismiss. When deciding on whether dismissal is appropriate, the employer should consider the nature and seriousness of the offence and the employee's length of service and disciplinary record. They also need to act with a degree of consistency if other employees have previously been disciplined over similar issues. Unless the offence was one of gross misconduct, ACAS recommends that the employee should be issued with a written warning.

In summary, an employer is not expected to prove that the alleged misconduct had definitely occurred. Disciplinary action will be fair if the employer can show that it had conducted a reasonable investigation, followed a fair procedure and held a genuine belief that the employee was guilty. Finally, it must show that the penalty was a reasonable action to take in the circumstances and one that a reasonable employer would have taken.

If there are any doubts or evidence that the above requirements have not been satisfied, an appeal can be submitted to the employer straight after the disciplinary outcome is communicated. If the appeal is rejected a claim for unfair dismissal can be made in the employment tribunal. The time limit to claim is 3 months from the date of dismissal and the claimant needs to have at least 2 years' continuous service with that employer.

Customer:

ok Ben thank you for your time and expert advise.

Ben Jones :

you are welcome

Customer:

I have just spoke to my step son and he feels with all the stress and every thing he don't want me to do anything

Ben Jones :

Well as you can appreciate that is his decision, of course there are options but it is not always that straightforward so he needs to decide what is best for him

Customer:

yes I know and once again thank you and bye

Ben Jones :

all the best