Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I recently moved into a house I had a Home Buyers full survey

I recently moved into a house I had a Home Buyers full survey done and in it they stated that the roof was a green 1 which means No repair is currently needed. On moving in to the property I found that the roof has a hole in it just above the combi boiler which is situated in the attic. The surveyor who carried out the inspection is coming back to look at the roof tomorrow. I have had a professional roofer to look at the roof and he has said that the felt and the ridge tiles need replacing and this will cost approx £3500. I would like to know how we stand because if we had known this before we exchanged contracts I would have asked for the price to be dropped by at least £3000.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Well, from what you say, the Surveyor should certainly have picked up on this and no doubt if he had, you would then have gone ahead to obtain quotes and negotiate the cost with the Seller.

As it stands, I would say the Surveyor has been negligent, and should "place you in th eposition you would have been, if the negligence had not taken place"- ie reimburse you fo rhte cost of putting right the defect.

All RICS Surveyors have to have professional indemnity insurance to cover them for situations like yours, so I would hope that you would nt have to much trouble in recouping the necessary costs.

I hope this assists you and answers your question.

Kind Regards

AL