LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

My wife and I are British nationals who have lived and worked

Customer Question

My wife and I are British nationals who have lived and worked in the Netherlands since 1973 and are now planning to return to the UK. We have a son, living in the UK, and a daughter, currently living in Taiwan. Both are British. We own our house in The Netherlands and have a modest savings account, also in the Netherlands. When we enquired with a solicitor in England about making a will, we were told that an English will could only apply to property held in England and Wales and that we should consult a Dutch solicitor. The Dutch solicitor told us, however, that we could choose whether we wished to make a will under Dutch law (on the grounds of long-term residence) or under English law (on the grounds of nationality). We wish to name our two children as executors and so, to make it easier fro them, would prefer to make our wills under English law. Is it true that an English will can only apply to property held in England? Our Dutch solicitor said this couldn’t be true under international law.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

My initial reaction is that the Dutch lawyer is right and you can do the will in either jurisdiction.

Customer:

I will check this later as I am away from the resources I need to be certain of this.

JACUSTOMER-i25wi6h2- :

JACUSTOMER-i25wi6h2- :

Will you send an email?

Customer:

I will reply in this forum.

JACUSTOMER-i25wi6h2- :

When can I expect a reply?

Customer:

this evening

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You were gong to check this yesterday evening. Do you have any further information?

Yes, Sorry I didn't get back yesterday. The position I am afraid is that you will need to get 2 wills done. One in Dutch law to deal with the dutch assets and one in English law to deal with everything in England.