75100385

I have been asked to attend the local police station (for an

I have been asked to attend the local police station (for an 'informal discussion') tomorrow regarding a complaint made about me for 'inappropriate behaviour' in a local gym changing room. At the moment that is all I know. I have on occasion masturbated in the privacy of a shower whilst showering and feel that this is the only possible reason for the police wanting to talk to me. I have never done this whilst being aware that anyone else is in the changing room but I guess I should have been more careful. My career involves working with children and vulnerable adults and I think even a caution would finish my career as I have to have regular CRB checks. Do you think I need to take a solicitor with me at this stage? Do you think I should deny it or (assuming that's what it is about) should I admit it? What kind of penalty might I incur. I have a completely blemish free record. I have never masturbated with any intention of anyone seeing me, simply to relieve the need, so to speak.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know if the showers are frosted on the front please?

Customer:

No there is a plastic curtain

Alex Watts :

And is it obvious what you would be doing behind it? Ie do you make a noise especially at the end?

Customer:

I didn't think so but someone must have heard me I think. I was never aware that anyone was in the changing room or i would have stopped

Alex Watts :

But they obviously have CCTV in there and no one has reported you that anyone has said something to you?

Customer:

No one has said on't know about whether there to me at the gym. Only the police woman who rang me. I dont know whether there is cctv but you could be right

Customer:

Sorry that first sentence should say - no one has said anything to me at the gym - the cursur had moved

Alex Watts :

When you go, do not admit to anything. I don't think at this stage you need to take a Solicitor as its a chat and not a formal interview under caution

Alex Watts :

But you can go, deny what has been done. Its unlikely they would have CCTV

Alex Watts :

The Police may just said this is what has been reported, is it true, you will say no and you will be asked to sto

Alex Watts :

stop

Alex Watts :

In any event I would make sure you do this at home from now on

Alex Watts :

But unless they have any evidence it would be hard to take it further

Customer:

she said to me to call in for an informal chat but did say that she would have to caution me

Alex Watts :

But the fact it is a discussion rather than formal interview is very positive.

Alex Watts :

Ok -

Alex Watts :

Its a matter for you whether you take a Solicitor.

Alex Watts :

I think if you don't make any admissions then you will be fine and just play dumb

Alex Watts :

Say you dont know what its about and if they say there has been a complaint ask if there any witnesses or CCTV

Alex Watts :

If the answer is no, then its unlikely to amount to anything

Alex Watts :

But dont be obstructive - be polite and understanding

Customer:

Ok thanks - this sounds like good advice. What sort of penalty could I get if it all goes wrong though. And what should I do if there is a witness or cctv evidence

Alex Watts :

It might be outraging public decency which is likely to be a fine

Alex Watts :

If there is CCTV you want to see it

Customer:

is outraging public decency regarded as a sex offence

Alex Watts :

Dont worry about that as I am sure it wont even get that far

Alex Watts :

I think they are likely to just say: dont do it again at the gym

Customer:

Well thank you very much - is there any other advice you can give me regarding talking to the police tomorrow - will it be more of a serious matter that I work with children and young adults?

Alex Watts :

I really think you are worrying too much - one step at a time

Alex Watts :

See what they say tomorrow

Alex Watts :

If it as more serious I would have expect you to have been arrested and formally interviewed

Alex Watts :

But you are not

Alex Watts :

Its a chat

Customer:

OK I assume I can come back to you if they want to take it further

Alex Watts :

Yes just put any questions for Alex W

Alex Watts :

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer:

Not really. You have put my mind at ease to a certain extent. Thank you very much.

Alex Watts :

Happy to help. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply