12826847

We have had a visit today from the Police about my boy on Facebook

We have had a visit today from the Police about my boy on Facebook making a few racial comments to another boy, who does not even go to the same school, and this was during the school holidays. My boy was not arrested but told in certain terms was he to contact the other boy or via my other son whose friend it was. The thing is the Police contacted my boys school and we are waiting for them to speak to us. The Police think he will be excluded. Why did the Police contact the school, when it had nothing to do with a) during school hours and B) the other boy does not even go to the same school. Where do we stand in this matter with the school. We think the police contacted them to find out where my son lived, because he had put that on Facebook which school he attended.
Is there any reason you think they shouldn't? Sorry if I'm missing the point.
Wouldn't it be better that the school deal with this than the police?
I presume the connection is some form of school rivalry?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it wasn't school rivalry at all. It was over comments made from skateboarding posts.
Its likely they have some justification for this. Obviously I haven't heard their account but I would be surprised if there were no connection at all. Apart from anything else, why would the school exclude him if the matter has nothing to do with them?
I do realise you would probably rather he wasn't excluded but its a lot better than being arrested and investigated for the offence of harassment. Its quite encouraging to find a school not abdicating it's responsibility to the police to discipline students.
It is possible that they needed to contact them to ascertain where he lived but then I wouldn't have expected them to tell the school about the allegation and still less the school to become involved in taking disciplinary action.
The connection need not be substantial - e.g alleged misconduct in uniform bringing the school into disrepute etc.
It might be that the police have negotiated with the parents of the other boy that making a report to the school is adequate resolution to avoid having to act against your son. Its always very disappointing to see a piece of legislation that was designed to deal with crazed stalkers used to mediate the disputes of adolescents.
I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.