Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Today I hired a professional moving company two man

Today I hired a professional moving company two man and a van flexible movers they're called. Firstly they were 40 min late . Secondly one of the movers sexually accosted me in my bedroom (I'm not sure that's the right word) he was a bit touchy feely- I said excuse me do you mind? Then he said something that I didn't understand but I thought he was saying his English was bad go slowly - I was very stressed and on the second entrance into my bedroom he made several advances and sexual comments and tried to kiss me and managed to touch my breasts. I told him to back off but he was a bit aggressive and asked why.'' I don't make sex'' with him I told him he was being totally inappropriate and this was a business transaction - I ordered him out of the room. And told the other mover who fired him on the spot. The other mover was very apologetic and said that when there's two men on a job they usually bring a ''friend'' not a professiona vetted by the company. I do not think this is good etiquette for a business I got on with the job and paid them but was left very shaken. Firstly how do I approach the company about this situation and secondly if this man is doing this in a professional transaction I dread to think what he would do on the streets and I also dread to think what would happen if I was completely alone with him. Please advise, I don't want this happening to other women and I think action. Should be taken on how the company operates . I'm furious, and I want my money back, compensation would be ideal but mainly that this guy is found and reported. Please advise. Kind Regards ***** ***** XXXXXXXX

There is no realistic prospect of recovering the money I'm afraid. They did the work and are entitled to be paid for it.
You can report it to the police and they will investigate. It will be easy enough to find him. There will be no difficulty with that. Obviously that does not necessarily mean he will be prosecuted or convicted but it will be investigated.
You can complain to the company and they will investigate. Whether they will apologise or not is another matter and really depends upon whether they accept the allegation. I suppose he will deny it. Either way, they are not necessarily liable. He was there as their agent but that doesn't make them liable unless you can show some form of negligence on their part. Clearly he was acting outside of their instructions when he behaved in this way. Unless there is some suggestion that they knew that he does behave like this or failed to conduct proper checks upon there is no claim in compensation against them.
You could sue him I suppose. You will have to prove what you allege to bring a claim. Its only really worth doing that if he can pay the award. To be wholly honest, these claims are not worth a great deal in law unless you can show that it has caused clear ascertainable financial loss.
But you can complain to the police.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. What a dreadful thing to happen, was the man who fired him the boss?

Jenny, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
But you can complain to the police.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But as I'm saying - he wasn't an employee - he was working this one job. The company don't seem to vett or train or care about customer service. They didn't provide me with a professional ettiquette which is outrageous to me.

Did you mean to rate my colleague's response rather than mine?
I will be happy to offer follow up information if you wouldn't mind confirming.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She had asked a question I thought I had to rate the question to get onto the next stage. Your response was fair but I wouldn't mind following up with your collegue Tara Till if that's ok

Opting out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your advice Jo

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hi I am sorry I couldn't respond last night. Whilst you were talking to my colleague I was locked out of the question.
Were both of the men on your property subcontractors or was one of them the main boss?
If he was not the main boss have you raised an official complaint?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tara
They were both subcontractors. . I have yet to raise a complaint with the official boss as wanted advice first.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hi I think that you definitely do need to raise a complaint with the boss about what has happened here as it is appalling that you have been treated in this way.
Jo's advice was sound in that there is no obligation on the part of the removal company to refund your money as it is clear that they carried out the work that you have engaged them to do. It may be that, as a gesture of good will, or to avoid bad publicity they will agree to refund you some money. But there is no legal obligation on their part to do so.
Obviously you can also contact the police as Jo has already suggested. This would be appropriate in the circumstances you descirbe.
If you have any further questions please do ask.