12826847

I bought a Bosch intergrated washer/dryer in the ***** *****

Customer Question

I bought a Bosch intergrated washer/dryer in the ***** ***** sale in July 2011.
As I was renovating a flat I only took delivery and installed it sometime in October 2011.
I live alone so it's use was minimal;estimate that to be about 6 times a month.
the machine broke down in August 2014.
Whilst in date terms the machine was just over 3 yrs old, it had just over two and a half years usage during which time I had been overseas, in total, for about 3 months.
I had done my research and Bosch had the 'Which' magazine top award for quality and customer service which is why I had chosen it.
Bosch repair estimate amounted to £460.
I should like to know if the machine should have lasted longer than the above time and if I have any 'rights' for them to repair it or replace it free of charge?
Pat Johnston
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.

taratill :

To begin with your rights under the Sale of Goods and Services Act are with the retailer not with the manufacturer so it is ***** ***** who would take responsibility in the event you were to make a claim.

taratill :

Your rights are on the basis that the machine was either not fit for purpose or is not of satisfactory quality, in reality it would come under the second head as you have sued it over a period of time.

What is the cause of the fault?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The engineers are here now.

The need to replace the Heating element, the lock mechanism and the module which they have just explained is the 'brains of the machine'

OK.
But have they said what has caused it to fail please?
Also, I presume the warranty has run out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They don't know.

They said when the machine breaks down showing the sign E13 ( this was on my display) they have to replace these parts. Standard practice.

What about the warranty? You must have had one from the manufacturer originally?
Do you know how long it was for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, the warranty was for 2 years from the date of purchase.

OK. I see.
The warranty has then run out which ever way you look at this.
Your rights under the SGA then are against the seller which is why you are getting short change from the manufacturer.
You have a right to pursue ***** ***** for this though. Under the SGA you have a right to demand that anything sold is fit for purpose. If a fault develops within the first six months there is a presumption in your favour. This is not within the first six months but that just means its for you to prove that the fault or its predisposition was there at sale which can be done. This is an expensive item with limited use and its a major failing.
You may meet with resistance but you do have a much better claim against the seller.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not understand who 'taratill' is. I thought I was working with Jo C

Could you please explain.

I am here.I think that was a mistake.Can I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you based in the UK or the USA given that you are replying on EST time at 09:50?

I'm in the UK. I think the site is based in the States which is why you get that time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer.

Pat

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Believe it or not, the engineers tested the machine and I heard it running but.... within 5 mins of their leaving, the machine is not working!

Any advice?

I have just rung Bosch's Customer Service but there is only an answering on the 'phone of the PA to the C S Director!

The only thing you can do is get them back again and my suggestion would be to pay whatever their original estimate was and then take them to the Small Claims Court.
If they defend it, I think there is little chance that you would when I think they are likely to settle out of court.
But remember your claim is against ***** *****.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This saga hasn't ended.

The PA to C S D has arranged for the engineers to come back first thing tomorrow so will continue our conversation tomorrow if that is ok with you?

Pat

Yes, no problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo C,

Firstly apologies for not getting back to you until today, Sunday 28th Sept.

I was called away to a family issue.

I appreciated your answers and help concerning my washing machine problems.

I felt very uneasy about someone else coming into the picture (taratill) and I would have expected more security concerning my query and the response.

I have rated the work and trust you will receive the agreed payment.

The engineers returned the following day and replaced yet another part. The machine is now working.

Sincerely,

Pat

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo C,

I seem to have received over 10 requests to rate the service.

As I have already done so, are you able to cancel the requests?

Pat

I don't have any control over what the site is sending but you can ignore all that type of thing as you have rated already.
All the best.