Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

in the course of my work as a coach driver, I brushed a high

in the course of my work as a coach driver, I brushed a high kerp causing a small amount of damage to my vehicle. My employer has fined me £250 is he able to do this legally ?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How has your employer fined you, is it through a deduction in your wages?

Customer:

yes, simply with a deduction under heading fine

taratill :

oK thanks, ***** ***** anything in your contract that allows them to make such a deduction?

Customer:

i had no contract

taratill :

ok then your employer is not allowed to do this. It amounts to an unlawful deduction from salary. You should ask for it to be repaid and if it is not you can bring a claim in the employment tribunal to recover your salary. You will find the form at www.employmenttribunals.gov.uk

Customer:

thank you for your help

taratill :

No problem, I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.