UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

when trading in the Dubai International Financial centre

when trading in the Dubai International Financial centre should the contracts be governed by UK or DIFC?

The company we are working with have suggested that DIFC decisions are more likely to be enforced in Bahrain and would therefore offer us increased protection in the unlikely event of litigation taking place.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
You may choose which law will govern the contract between you and the company you are working with. It could be either UK law of DIFC law. However, DIFC law is modelled on English law and the company may be correct that DIFC decisions are better upheld in Bahrain as both. Bahrain and UAE are Gulf Cooperating Countries.
I would not be worried if you accept DIFC law as the law to govern your contracts. In fact, DIFC laws have been drafted by 3 major UK law firms.
You may read up on DIFC laws here
http://www.difc.ae/laws-regulations
May I help further?