75100385

Can a university refuse to give my son a reference because

Can a university refuse to give my son a reference because they say he owns them money (because student finance withdraw his funding) My son can't start his apprentice with British Airways until they receive the reference. Help, it's making him worried sick.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : What do their terms and conditions for enrolment say about withholding a reference please?
Customer:

I have gone all round their web site and can't seem to find anything. It's Southbank Uni London if that helps, I'm not great at finding the information that's relevant.

Alex Watts :

Ok - if it is not in their terms then they can not.

Alex Watts :

He needs to write and set out a formal complaint.

Alex Watts :

Make sure this is sent in writing and be recorded delivery.

Alex Watts :

The complaint will then be investigated. He can also threaten to go to the Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

Or you can get a Solicitor letter, this may do the trick - obviously there is a cost and therefore you need to consider whether it would be worth it.

Alex Watts :

If the University does not uphold the complaint then you can go to the Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

They offer a free, independent service. Their website is: http://www.oiahe.org.uk/

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Ok thank you for your help. It's good to have something positive for my son to do now instead of hitting his head on a brick wall, so to speak.