29905560

My local garage put new brake discs and pads all round. 8 days

My local garage put new brake discs and pads all round. 8 days later the pads of the rear left wheel fell out causing complete loss of braking. The RAC recovery driver took photos of this. The garage repaired the problem but I am concerned that my son who was driving at the time could have been involved in a serious accident. It is my belief that the garage are in breach of their contract under the Sale of Goods and Services Act 1982 and I ask your advice as to where I go from here?
many thanks
Peter Moxon
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. So to clarify they have now fixed the problem and the pads are working?

Customer:

Yes they have fixed the problem although they are waiting for a part from VW and will then finish the job. They have returned the car saying it is safe to drive in the mean time

Ben Jones :

The legislation will only allow you to claim a refund or a repair/replacement. So if they have repaired the issue and the car is again safe to drive they have discharged their legal liabilities. Had they been unable to fix the problem then you could have considered asking for a refund, however that is no longer an option considering they have repaired the fault. You cannot claim anything for 'what could have happened' or for being placed in any sort of risk. You could only claim if further damage has occurred, for example if the car was damaged as a result of the faulty work that they did but assuming no damage was caused then your rights are as explained above, where you can only opt for a repair, replacement or refund

Customer:

Ok, thanks.

Ben Jones :

you are welcome