75100385

Morning, I received a letter from a ppi claim firm this morning

Morning, I received a letter from a ppi claim firm this morning demanding £726.92 for an invoice they sent to me on the 13/6/2014, I've checked my records the invoice I received dated the 13/6/2014 was a copy of an invoice dated the 6/6/2014 for £105.82 which I paid on the 10/6/2014 by bacs, I've never received their invoice fo £726.92. Where do I stand on this matter.
Thanks Anthony
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Please let me know for now whether you accept you owe £726.92 or does this appear to be a mistake?

Customer: Until I see an invoice for the service I am not 100% sure this amount is correct.
Alex Watts :

Ok - did you instruct them to recover PPI in return for a %?

Customer: Yes 12%, but they have never invoiced me for 726.92
Alex Watts :

Ok - how much did you recover in terms of PPI?

Customer: in total £5200,
Alex Watts :

So it would appear the first invoice was wrong?

Customer: My claim was split in two, 1 credit card, 3 loans, 1st invoice was for the credit card claim, the second invoice was a copy of the first invoice, I ve never received the invoice for £726 which they are now chasing
Alex Watts :

Oh I see.

Alex Watts :

Can't you just ask them for a copy?

Customer: All I want to know is do I have pay? Which I can't , I no longer have the funds I paid my debts off, if they had invoiced correctly I would have paid but they haven't . I will be asking for the invoice of course, I've never seen it!!
Alex Watts :

Ok - if you knew that they were taking 12% and you had £5200 refunded, were you not expecting a bill of around £700?

Customer: I was expecting a invoice from them, but I never received the correct one, this is not my fault. They want to take me court but this is the first I've heard from them in nearly 4 months.
Alex Watts :

Indeed, but when you had an invoice did you not expect one for around £700?

Alex Watts :

Leaving aside the fact you had not heard anything

Customer: i am self employed, if don't invoice my customers I don't get paid and they have failed to invoive for £726 that's why I've not paid, and I am now in a situation were I can't pay in full.
Alex Watts :

Yes, but did you not think to set aside the £700 and just spend the rest, bearing in mind you were expecting an invoice?

Alex Watts :

Ok -this is the situation and your legal position

Alex Watts :

Under a contract someone has 6 years to chase a debt

Alex Watts :

Therefore they could have left it weeks, months or even years before sending you an invoice

Alex Watts :

They appear to have left it for some time, but well within the 6 year time limit

Alex Watts :

If you accept they did the work and they are entitled to 12% then sadly you owe a sum

Alex Watts :

What I would get is a breakdown of what the £726 is for and what the £105 you paid was for

Alex Watts :

Make sure the figures add up correctly

Alex Watts :

If they do then you can explain you waited for them to send an invoice which they failed to do so

Alex Watts :

You may be able to arrange a repayment plan and pay it over months or years

Alex Watts :

But if they do take you to Court and they can produce an agreement that says you owe it then sadly you may end up with a Judgment against you

Alex Watts :

I agree totally they have been very slow to issue an invoice when one would have expected it earlier

Alex Watts :

But that does not mean they are not entitled to their fee or you can simply not pay them

Alex Watts :

What it does do is give you more ground for a repayment plan over time

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer: I will speak to them on Monday and hopefully come to some arrangement, but I've got to stress I never received an invoice for the amount they are chasing, they sent me the wrong one the second time. Thanks for help have a good day.
Alex Watts :

Indeed. As I said I think you will owe it but just because its late I think gives you more of an edge to repay over time

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you about this at all?

Customer: That's it thanks
Alex Watts :

Great. If I could invite you to rate before you go, the button will be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply. Have a great weekend

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience