75100385

Hi, I recently scrapped my car but failed to inform DVLA Now

Customer Question

I recently scrapped my car but failed to inform DVLA
Now they want fine me for not taxing my vehicle
Even if I failed to report the scrapping (i.e. selling it to a car scrapping firm) my car did not exist by the time the tax was due on it.
My questions are :
1.Does the law say I have to pay a fine because I have not taxed my vehicle or because I missed to report the selling of it ?
2. Can evade the penalty if I report to DVLA that the I sold it before the tax was due ?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Why did you not inform the DVLA please?

JACUSTOMER-u4m6jcko- :

We were in the middle of moving house in July and my car just broken down and I had buy another one but this activity simply has been forgotten

Alex Watts :

1. Yes - you failed to complete a SORN or tax the vehicle. You were the registered owner

Alex Watts :

2. No - your duty is to notify the DVLA of a change

Alex Watts :

Indeed you could be fined (a lot more than the current penalty) for failing to do that.

Alex Watts :

The fact you were moving makes no difference. It should be on the list to do together with driving licence.

Alex Watts :

But you did not so sadly guilty of an offence of not taxing and failing to notify

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-u4m6jcko- :

No, thanks it answers my question

Alex Watts :

Great. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/