LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I have just moved into a new build house, there is a pine forest

Customer Question

I have just moved into a new build house, there is a pine forest backing onto the property, the trees are 15 / 20 meters high, the forest is currently unmanaged by the owners, so it does look like they will be cut down any time soon, We have managed to get a sky sat signal, but probably only short term maybe a year, it is a rural area and our only option for home internet is satellite internet , but the providers can not get a signal because of the height of the trees. We moved in early June and there was plenty of sunlight in the back garden, but now the days are getting shorter and the sun lower, we don't get any sun through out the day , and it always looks dark and gloomy. There is a total of 6 new houses built in line , all with the forest onto the back gardens. The forest was planted and owned by a local estate, but as mentioned there is no management of the trees, would we have grounds for asking them to maybe cut the tops of the first few trees? which would give us more light, and possible a satellite internet signal,
if some of these trees fell during high winds , they would fall onto the house's.
I was planning to contact the owners to discuss , but wanted to know what sort of rights we had ,if any. the developer of the new properties lives local and must have sought planning permission with the forest owners about the new build properties, he also stated we could get internet before we purchased.
many Thanks ,
Mick
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello. I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

As far as light in the back garden is concerned you have no right to this. I am afraid there is also no right to an internet signal.

Customer:

If the vendor has made representations or answered enquiries in the course of the sale which are not true you may have an action against him for compensation for the lack internet access or to pay for whatever works are necessary to ensure an internet connection. However it will need to be a clear falsehood. If eg he could get an internet signal when he sold it but now you can't then there will be no action.

Customer:

It may be that your neighbours are in a similar situation and you should band together to put pressure on the seller. Did your solicitor make an enquiry re internet connectivity for the house?

JACUSTOMER-4ilu7kaw- :

Hi , Thank you for getting back to me, I will discuss the internet issue with the new neighbours and see what was said, I don't believe we involved our solicitors on this issue, we just discussed with the seller if internet access was available, and was told "I get it " he lives at the end of the development and receives very slow BT internet, however the signal isn't strong enough further down the development to get any land line internet.

JACUSTOMER-4ilu7kaw- :

Do we have any influence with the forest owners over concerns about the trees being so close to the house, and if they blow down they would damage the roof and property, how would we stand with insurance on this???

JACUSTOMER-4ilu7kaw- :

cjeers,

JACUSTOMER-4ilu7kaw- :

Mick

Customer:

If the trees are blown down and cause foreseeable harm to your property then you might have an action against the forest owner. However, if there has been no mismanagement of the trees and they are blown over causing damage it could be argued that it is either the developer or you who are to blame for building on/moving to land that was already at risk.