UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

A self employed styist in my salon which I rent gave a customer

A self employed styist in my salon which I rent gave a customer a treatment using peroxide without doing a strand test. The customer suffered some blistering on her scalp. I have been contacted by a solicitor on her behalf claimoing compensation, my insurance will not accept the claim because the insurance is not valid due to no strand test. I have no assets in the business as the landlord owns all of the equipment in the salon. Am I in danger of being taken to court and what moght hapen. The claimee did not have time off work and did not go to a and e or see a doctor immediately.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

You should write back to the Solicitors and inform them that you did not carry out the treatment and the person who did so is not employed by you and is not under your control.

As such, you are not really personally liable for the self employed stylist and the customer should go after the stylist and not.

However, there is a risk that you may be named as a defendant in any court claim and it is then up to you to defend the claim on the above grounds or get the stylist to settle the claim.

May I help further?