UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

This is about Charity Law. I need to know what information

This is about Charity Law. I need to know what information I am bound to give, as a Trustee/Treasurer, to a member of the public about a Charity's accounts. This person is asking to see all the receipts for a specific category in the accounts for the financial years ending 28 February 2013 and the 28 February 2014. Am I legally bound to show these to him? He has seen the accounts which were sent to the Charities Commission and he has had an explanation as to what the money was spent on in the specific category but is still demanding to see the receipts.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

No, you are not legally obliged to show this person receipts as requested by them unless the person's personal information appears on these receipts.

If the person's personal information appears on these receipts, then the person is entitled to see what information is contained in these receipts under the Data Protection Act 1998.

May I help further?