Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I agreed with a handyman to do some work for me at a rate

I agreed with a handyman to do some work for me at a rate of 360 per day for seven days. This would involve two workers (180 for each worker). The day before the job was due to start, he texted me to say he would have 3 workers on the job and it would now last for 5 days but the cost would be the same. During the course of the work, they informed me the job would take longer, and did I agree to them carrying on. I agreed. Whilst continuing the work, I was sent a text by the handyman that he broke a light fitting. When they finally left me – as they now had another job to start, the final bill was for 9 days at a rate of 540 per day (180 for each worker). I was never informed I would be paying a new daily rate of 540 per day. I disputed this with the handyman. He sent me an email stating “The quotation did say 360 per day for x2 men for x7 days so the obvious implication of this is that if the job went over the time estimate, and you agreed to us completing it would be charged at the same day rate” I have paid the handyman 360 x 9 days. However, I have deducted the cost of replacing the light fitting. But the handyman is saying I should pay 540 x 9 days plus the cost to replace the light fitting? Is this correct as he is suing me for what he feels he is still owed.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
What is the exact figure he is suing you for?
Did he actually replace the light fitting?
AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The extact figure is 2687.00. This includes

1560 for additional worker (i do not think this figure is correct)

885 for the light fitting

137 for a damaged kitchen cabinet door

105 for his court fees

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Did he originally replace the light fitting when broke it? You cannot deduct the cost of the light fitting if he has already replaced it?
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no, the light fitting has not been replaced.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Firstly under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 - if they failed to provide the service with reasonable skill and care and broke the light fitting you are entitled to claim any damage arising from that i.e £850 .
Secondly your issue is he has issued proceedings against you, your options are:
1. Defend the proceedings - This would be on the basis that the new rate of £560 a day was unilaterally enforced on you and you never actually approved the additional quote;
2. You pay under protest and then reserve the right to sue him back for the loss you have suffered;
3. You try and negotiate and settle with him. If you consider this option - in your opinion were the additional two days necessary? Would you be prepared to pay more for the service?
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ