29905560

Hi, My wife recently paid for a two year study course and

My wife recently paid for a two year study course and has decided to cancel after three lessons, we have been told she has no right to a refund (either total or partial) is that correct?
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Was there a written contract in place?

Customer:

Probably yes, she certianly signed an application form

Customer:

?

Ben Jones :

have you checked the terms of that contract to see what the rights to cancel are?

Customer:

I don't recall that it says anything, we asked them by email before starting the course and there was some indication that the refund could be prorated in the case of cancellation. But now when we emailed them the reply was quite negative. I guess it would be useful to have a copy of that email. But if they still reply in the negative is there anything we could do?

Ben Jones :

No everything you buy will have the right to a cancellation and as full refund. It is entirely possible for you to purchase something , like this course, and have no cancellation rights or the right to a refund. What is important is what was agreed at the outset and under what terms you agreed to pay the initial fees. If no cancellation or refund rights were agreed then you cannot automatically cancel and expect a refund and may have to forfeit the money paid. The law would only allow you to cancel if the other side has acted in breach of contract, for example they have failed to deliver the course as promised or committed some other serious breach of the initial agreement. In the event that did not happen you can only expect a refund if you had terms in the original agreement which allowed that

Ben Jones :

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Customer:

ok, we will go carefully through all the documents and bare in mind what you say above, thanks.

Customer:

Hi, i'm trying to give you a rating but all the smiley faces are greyed out...

Ben Jones :

Apologies for that, there is a bug in the system which we sometimes get and it prevents you from posting your rating. Instead, you can just type your selection on here (e.g. OK, Good, Excellent) then we will process it manually later. Thank you