LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I HAVE LIVED IN MY HOME FOR 52 YEARS AND UP UNTIL 1995 THE

Customer Question

I HAVE LIVED IN MY HOME FOR 52 YEARS AND UP UNTIL 1995 THE PREVIOUS LANDLORDS KEPT THE BUILDING IN GOOD CONDITION,,,IN 1995 NEW LANDLORDS TOOK OVER....I AM A SITTING TENANT WITH A CAPPED RENT UNDER THE FAIR RENT REGISTER THEY HAVE DONE NO MAINTENANCE WORK TO KEEP THE BUILDING IN GOOD CONDITION ALTHOUGH THEY HAVE A FULL REPAIRING LEASE...I HAVE INFORMED THEM OVER THE LAST TEN YEARS OF WORK THAT NEEDS DOING BUT TO NO AVAIL....NOW I HAVE WATER COMING IN THROUGH THE ROOF ..WINDOWS THAT DONT CLOSE WINDOWS THAT LET THE HEAT OUT ...I CANT ACTUALLY LEAVE THIS FLAT UNATTENDED...I OWE RENT BUT I PAY THAT OFF AND THERE IS SO MUCH MORE I COULD SAY CAN I HAVE THEM ON NEGLIGENCE AS I HAVE CONTINUOSLY IN FORMED THEM....
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
Customer:

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

Your landlord has a duty under S11 Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 to keep the structure and exterior of the property in repair. He is clearly in breach of this. He has a duty to repair the property and you will be able to claim compensation against him. The level of compensation will depend on the severity of the disrepair and how long he has been aware of the problems.

Customer:

If your means are limited you may be able to get help from a housing solicitor through the legal aid scheme. Some solicitors are offering no win no fee for these cases. You will need expert help to bring the case. Follow this link to find a solicitor in your area who can help. http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/.