UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

i have lived with my girlfriend in her house for the past

Customer Question

i have lived with my girlfriend in her house for the past 7yrs or so and have paid *rent* to her each month of £800, i have done work on the house (unpaid) . when i moved in i thought it was for ever so i disposed of most of my furniture etc. when things have been bought since she has paid for them with the *rent* that i have paid her. do i have any recourse considering the amount of time , effort and rent that i have paid? we do not have any formal agreement in place between us..hi I've paid £38 for this do you need anything else?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
I am afraid without any agreement with your girlfriend and in the event that you are unable to agree any arrangement with her, you do not have grounds for recourse as you lived with her and she could argue that the money you were paying her was indeed rent and nothing else. What she did with the money e.g. Buy furniture etc was her business I am afraid.
I am sorry but I cannot give you better news.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks. i just needed to know where i stood before getting in to any unpleasant discussions with her. its a shame really Cry

thanks again

You are welcome and good luck with her.
Please leave feedback
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

accurate and friendly feedback, thanks again for your help. will recommend to others.

regards

mike

Thank you Mike.