75100385

Hi, We have had a vast amount of issues with a property

We have had a vast amount of issues with a property and are looking to exit with no penalty. In the 6.5 months we have rented we have had the following issues
1) Doorbell didn't work
2) Bannister was loose and a hazard
3) Gap in front door lets water into porch (unresolved)
4) Seal on oven door broken
5) Oven replaced - wood broken and door doesn't open/shut properly therefore burnt myself a number of times. (Unresolved)
6) Cowel broken - Daughter won't stay due to noise and has ruined many a night as woken up children. Many months of disturbance and irritation.
7) Fire fills house with smoke - cannot be used due to size of fire to flume. Wood burner being fitted 1 days disturbance.(in progress)
8) Scaffolding up for 7 weeks for 4 days work. (In progress)
9) Internal boiler used externally - cannot have windows open as gases come in. If this was Gas it would be illegal. (Unresolved)
10) Damp on walls in lounge - 2/3 days’ work to resolve (unresolved - requested not to be dealt with to avoid further disturbance)
11) Damp/Mould appearing on walls in downstairs loo due to poor ventilation despite having window open all the time.
12) loose wiring in kitchen plug shorted the house
13) Replacing woodburner – issues with installation and vast amount of mess created and disturbance.
14) Main electric socket burn out due to faulty work previously taken place at the property.
The last was the last straw as we were advised by the person that came out to fix that it could of been fatal.
I would like to understand my rights as far as I see a tenant has none and it always seems to fall with the landlord. From an ethical prospective what we have had to put up with has caused my family stress and massive upset.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know what type of tenancy you had and what you want to achive?

Alex Watts :

* achieve *

Customer:

Hi - we have a standard tenancy agreement that has another 5 months to run. We want to break out with no penalty so we can move ASAP

Alex Watts :

You can do this if you can show that either one of all the breached are significant.

Alex Watts :

You can only break if there is a serious fundamental breach of contract. This is a breach or series of breaches that go to the very heart of the contract

Alex Watts :

If you can show this then you can break and move

Alex Watts :

But the longer the breaches go on, the more likely it is said you have accepted the breaches

Alex Watts :

So if you are going to break you need to do it now and you can go without notice

Alex Watts :

But you must do it quick

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Ok, so we have to prove a breach. It's a shorthold tenancy agreement and the issues we have encountered are all listed are you aware what this would breach or I will need to get more legal advice to review

Alex Watts :

Yes I think each thing individually is not enough. But all together I think they are

Customer:

Excellent many thanks !

Customer:

I will email the agent listing all the issues and request a break out ASAP incurring no more costs.

Customer:

Thanks so much for all your advice

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer:

No I think this is enough, you've been very helpful.

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience