29905560

Good evening, my fiance recently started a new job as head

Good evening, my fiance recently started a new job as head housekeeper in a major hotel, she was checking one of the hotels rooms and ran her hand underneath a low sofa, while doing this she pricked her finger on a discarded syringe, believed to be for insulin but unproved. I picked her up and went to A and E where she had injections for hepatitus b and tetnus and blood taken, she has been left shaken and myself a little annoyed about the hotels lack of concern. They refuse to contact the guest that stayed last in the room, i would like them to be tested for diseases and also to ask why they did not dispose of the syringe in a safe manner. I am just wondering what to do next, my partner is reluctant to rock the boat in this new job, i would be keen to read your advice, thank you.
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. can you please tell me how long she has been employed here and do you know if they have any health and safety procedures in place

Customer:

My apology for today, i have been at work until now. My partner has been employed for about a month and i am not sure about the procedures you asked, other than it is a main stream hotel.

Ben Jones :

Hi, no problem thanks for getting back to me. Whilst the employer will have a duty to ensure the health and safety of its employees and take measures to prevent them from being exposed to risks in the workplace, as you can imagine this is not something which they could easily guard against and also not something which is reasonably foreseeable. So the employer will not really be to blame for what happened and this will be classified as an accident.

In terms of contacting the customer who occupied the room, the employer cannot be forced to do so and there is no specific law which would force them to do so. A prudent employer may do that but that is left to good practice really, not something which they would be legally required to do.

Also she is somewhat vulnerable in this new job because she is not protected against unfair dismissal until she has at least 2 years’ service with them so she could be dismissed for more or less any reason within that period. So if she ricks the boat too much she could find herself out of a job, something which she cannot challenge.

So she could still approach the employer and make them aware of her plight and how concerned she is about her health because of this and that she is not asking for the customer’s details herself but for the employer to contact them just to give her a reassurance that she has not been exposed to any serious infections or diseases as a result of this. But remember that she cannot force them to do so and pleading is all she can do in the circumstances.

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Customer:

Mr Jones i very much appreciate your prompt answer and the info you relayed to me, we will leave the situation as it is for now. Thank you very much for your time and thought.

Ben Jones :

you are most welcome, all the best

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'