Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

If an employer unilaterally removes some of an employee's responsibilities

Customer Question

If an employer unilaterally removes some of an employee's responsibilities and a sizeable chunk of their salary, are they entitled to any compensation? The employee still has a job, but at a lower salary. What is the legal position?
Expert:  Jenny replied 3 years ago.
Customer:

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are you the employee in this scenario and if so how long have you worked there for?

JACUSTOMER-m8105gou- :

I

JACUSTOMER-m8105gou- :

I am, working with them since January 2000

Customer:

Ok please can you explain how the variation has come about?

JACUSTOMER-m8105gou- :

Formerly teaching with a sizeable administration roil

JACUSTOMER-m8105gou- :

The admin role removed and the salary reduced. (Later teaching reduced and salary reduced further.)

Customer:

Ok were you the only person affected in this way? When did this happen?

JACUSTOMER-m8105gou- :

I was the only person with the administrative duties, so on that occasion I was the only person affected. The second reduction in work was experienced by a number of colleagues. First cut in June 2011, second cut in December 2013

Customer:

Hi the problem you have is the length of time that has passed since the changes have happened. An employer is not enittled to unilaterally vary without notice and I would argue that you should have been offered redundancy at the point at which parts of your job were removed. As a number of months have passed since the change you would be out of time to bring any claim for unfair dismissal or compensation in the Employment Tribunals as there are time limits of 3 months after the acts to bring a complaint.

Customer:

You could raise a grievance about your treatment but I am really sorry that I do not think you will be able to claim any compensation in these circumstances.

Customer:

If your employer attempts to make any further changes I would suggest you take immediate advice.

JACUSTOMER-m8105gou- :

Thank you for your help.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe that I have rated your service, describing it as "Excellent service". I will soon be putting those 3-month time limits to the test.

Expert:  Jenny replied 3 years ago.
Hi can I help you further with this?