75100385

hi, i need some information about working tax credits and

hi, i need some information about working tax credits and child tax credits. Whilst i have been pregnant and looking for somewhere to live i have been using my partner's address although myself and my children have been staying at other addresses. i did not therefore change my status from single parent as my partner and i were deciding if we would actually co habit and we decided to amalgamate our finance when our baby is born. Meanwhile the tax credits have contacted me and asked me to clarify the situation. I have evidence that i have been staying at other addresses and i am not a tenant at my partner's address or registered for council tax. I am currently waiting to be re housed.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Why have you not used the address where you have been staying please?
Customer: For most of the summer I've been doing house sitting jobs
Alex Watts :

Ok - so why didnt you give them that address? Are HMRC saying you have been overpaid?

Customer:

my house sitting jobs were at different addresses

Customer:

yes they think i may have been over paid as they want me to confirm if i have been living with my partner but technically i haven't

Customer:

i ve not been a tenant anywhere during 2014 but i had to use an address to get GP for me and my children

Customer:

i am now going to be a tenant soon

Alex Watts :

OK - but you can prove you have been living elsewhere

Customer:

my house sitting clients hav said it is ok for me to let HMRC know their addresses

Alex Watts :

Ok - then you have nothing to worry about. If HMRC investigate and find against you, then you can appeal the decsion

Alex Watts :

That means the matter would go before an independent Tribunal who will decide whether there has been an overpayment

Alex Watts :

But I do not think you should worry

Alex Watts :

Customer: I suppose I would just like to clarify that I won't face going to prison, there has been a lot in the press about people being sent to prison for claiming benefits they are not entitled to, although I have not been doing that, the father of my baby does not support me financially and I can let them see my bank account but it just made me worry.
Alex Watts :

No you wont face going to prison. At worse this would be an overpayment where they could get a County Court Judgment

Alex Watts :

Thats it - it is a civil debt

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer: I think that's all for today thank you very much.
Alex Watts :

Great. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply