75100385

I have lived for over 20 years in an almshouse owned by a local

I have lived for over 20 years in an almshouse owned by a local charitable trust. They now want to evict me and redevelop the site. What are my rights as a long-term resident?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Have they given you notice yet please or are these just plans?

Customer:

Plans have been drawn up and funding sought. Construction begins on adjacent derelict land in April. We have been advised that existing properties may be refurbished rather than demolished but do not think this is true.

Customer:

Surely the state of play does not affect my rights as a long-term reisdent

Customer:

Are you going to reply or shall I log out?

Customer:

I do not understand what is happening - I have provide information and received no response

Customer:

Although I have waited half an hour for a reply and received none I am unable to rate this exercise which leaves me paying £38 for nothing. Please comment.

Alex Watts :

The emails are system generated but I am here now to help you.

Alex Watts :

Have they made a formal decision yet as to whether you are to be given notice?

Alex Watts :

Are you able to respond?

Customer:

The building plans have been displayed for public consultation. One of the members of trust told us that if we did not evacuate the properties when requested they would arrange for us to be evicted

Alex Watts :

Thank you, ***** ***** know what type of tenancy do you have?

Customer:

No I am looking for the documents but have been living here since 1992 and was told when the keys were handed to me the it was my home for life

Alex Watts :

Ok - hold on

Alex Watts :

Its bad news I am afraid. You have been a tenant for 20 years but that is not quite long enough for an assured tenancy. What you have is a secure tenancy. This means it can be terminated in limited circumstances.

Alex Watts :

One of the grounds are re-development.

Alex Watts :

This means if they propose to redevelop then they can seek a Court order to evict you if you do not leave

Alex Watts :

However what they will have to do is find you alternative accommodation

Alex Watts :

I know this is not ideal but sadly given the type of tenancy you have they have the legal power to do this.

Alex Watts :

So whilst if they redevelop you may lose your current home - they must provide another one

Alex Watts :

Redevelopment is an allowed legal ground

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you are after and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

I have three bedrooms and a garden - the properties they are building have one or two bedrooms and no private gardens. The trust owns no other properties so what can they do the re-house me

Alex Watts :

They need to find you the closes accommodation they have.

Alex Watts :

But sadly they can evict you if they redevelop

Customer:

Thank you for your help - not good news but best to know where I stand.

Alex Watts :

Yes. Am I able to clarify anything else for you today?

Customer:

No thank you

Alex Watts :

Great. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go, the button should be at the bottom

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Alex Watts :

Ooops - try again!

Customer:

It says you havent finished answering and wont let me click button

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience