12826847

Is it required to have road traffic act insurance for a ride

Is it required to have road traffic act insurance for a ride on lawnmower (section K vehicle) for mowing grass verges alongside a public road?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a ride on lawnmower, the people who lived here before us cut the grass alongside the unclassified road upon which we are situated. As a rideon is a motor vehicle it seems that insurance would be needed. I have made extensive online searches but am unable to find a definitive yes/no answer on the matter. I have only found one insurer and the cost is £125.00 for a machine that does 5mph and will cover about 1 mile per year on public roads. My Mondeo estate costs £160.00 pa for 15,000 miles.

Do I really need road traffic act insurance for a vehicle that needs none of the usual requirements.

You are right.
If this is a mechanically propelled vehicle then you would need insurance. This was always very simple because people kept them off road so the need for insurance didn't arise. Mowing back garden lawns were not covered because they are not a road or public place.
If you take them on road then you do need insurance. One option is to transport them by a van and then they won't be driven.
Under the new principle of continuous insurance, in theory, they should be kept insured even off road but the practical reality is that its not really enforced.