UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

DO I NEED TO HAVE POWER OF ATTORNEY ,MY HUSBAND OF 65 YRS HAS

DO I NEED TO HAVE POWER OF ATTORNEY ,MY HUSBAND OF 65 YRS HAS DEMENTIA & HAS HAD A STROKE, WE LIVE IN A RENTED HOUSE, GET HELP WITH CARERS , DON'T PAY COUNCIL TAX,& GET ATTENDANCE ALLOWANCE,. TODAY I CONTACTED OUR INSURANCE COMPANY OF OUR CHANGE OF ADDRESS MINE WAS ACCEPTED , NOT MY HUSBAND AS I HAVEN'T POWER OF ATTORNEY,

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you need one if the insurance company insists you need one to act on his behalf and change his address for him.
However, if your husband does not have mental capacity, he cannot make a power of attorney now I am afraid and you would need to make an application to the court of protection to become his deputy, see here how to do so:
https://www.gov.uk/become-deputy/overview
May I help further?