12826847

I am the Sole director of the family business (ltd company)

Customer Question

I am the Sole director of the family business (ltd company) and I run the company on a day to day basis and have done for 15 years. My grandparents who set up the company passed away (2 and a half years ago) but it is still unclear who their shares have passed too as their daughter, who is the executor to their Will, refuses to have anything to do with me or the company. She will not apply for probate and I am in the middle of hopefully getting a citation to force her to do so. What I want to know though is am I entitled to increase my remuneration as the only director or do I need to seek shareholder approval? Obviously shareholder approval is impossible.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Do the articles of association contain any provisions in relation to directors declaring their interest in transactions over which they have a proposed interest?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi AJ

I thought you might ask about the articles of the company. I have had a look through and can't make anything out that seems relevant to your question. Bearing in mind this company was formed in the 1940's and the articles date back that far then they are very old! I did see a condition that there must be a minimum of 2 and no more than 5 directors which with only me, we no longer adhere too, but then i know the law has changed with small companies anyway. Hope this information is useful but perhaps as such you are unable to give me an informed decision?

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Does the company use Table A Articles from the Companies Act 1945?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi AJ

Yes the articles do refer to Companies Act 1985. Te original Articles being that of The Companies Act 1948.The reference to the 1985 Act mentions "44 The company may purchase it's own shares"?

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
I will write a response it may take some time so please do not be concerned if you do not hear from me right away.
I would not consider the share buy back because you still need a special resolution to be able to do this. Further more the company will still need shareholders.
I will revert to you as soon as possible.
AJ
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
My apologies for the delay, I am just typing an answer now.
AJ
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Ultimately you are the director of the company and you are responsible for its management. If you simply awarded yourself a higher salary for commercial reasons (i.e your paying yourself market rate etc) then that is up to you. The risk you run is the following:
- If someone ever stands up and claims to be the shareholder they could sue you for breach of your duties under S.172 on wards of the Companies Act 2006 - you may then have to repay part of the higher salary;
-If the company goes insolvent, if remuneration was in anyway excessive, you may have a personal claim against you for the company debts.
Currently you are acting in breach of the articles of the company if you are acting as a sole director, when it says you need to two directors. Furthermore even if you appointed other directors to approve your remuneration (which would be the best way to go about it ) - the fact is, it is still potentially a conflict of interest and that puts you at risk from a claim from the shareholders (whoever they are).
Can you tell me anything about the declaration you have asked for? Do you have any evidence to suggest that the shares might have been left to you?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Aj

Thanks. The shares were due to be left to me and the Will I hold in which I was the executor says as such. Since my Grandmother's death though, my Aunt (my Grandmother's daughter) refused access to the house and any papers in order to administer the estate. She claims to be the executor which she has provided evidence of to the probate registry (I took out a Subpoena) in the form of two codicils, one of which the probate registry confirmed but as I am no longer the executor they would not allow me to see the other and it's contents. My Aunt has been incredibly difficult to deal with and that is why I now have gone with a Citation. She has shown absolutely no interest in the business whatsoever but I live in fear that the other codicil passes the shares to her. If that were the case obviously I would challenge and as you point out she would do exactly what you say with regard to the increase in remuneration. I just hope it doesn't come to that. There is no question of my salary putting the company's finances at risk. Actually it's based on the profit anyway and considering I've been here 15 years, have a wife and 2 children to take care of despite the situation with the business, I do not think my actions could be deemed irresponsible.

James

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
I have just received this and I am reviewing it now.
AJ
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.

Hi< Thank you for your patience my apologies for the delay. Have you applied to the probate registry to obtain a copy of the will? What exactly does the company do? Kind regards AJ