31090051

My brother-in-law drinks every penny he gets, and will not

My brother-in-law drinks every penny he gets, and will not take on any responsibility; he has no life insurance and if he dies he expects my wife and I to pay for his funeral. We cannot afford to do this, we are in the red in the bank two weeks out of four and just manage to scrape along on our pensions. We have our own house and claim little or no benefits. Can we disown my brother-in-law legally so that we can keep our house and would not have to pay for his funeral; or is there another way round this?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
There is no law that says you have to pay for his funeral at all, nor indeed to arrange a funeral. If he dies you can simply say that you are having nothing to do with the matter and if there is no other relative to arrange the funeral, the state would have to arrange and pay for it.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.