Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have been of work for a week and half. I have been seriously

I have been of work for a week and half. I have been seriously ill. I have had an email from company saying that they have suspended my wage, until they get paperwork. I have been in my bed so poorly. The job involves a lot of paperwork. I explained I was not fit to do this at present.
I crawled to doctors yesterday for sick note. The company is now saying hand this in ect and paperwork or you wont get your money. Can they do this?
Tricia
Expert:  Jenny replied 3 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked for the employer for?

Customer:

about 6 months

Customer:

they have sent email saying until they get paperwork They will not pay my wage. Despite having helf back petrol money from last month.

taratill :

Is this pay for work you have done already or sick pay?

Customer:

work I have done already

Customer:

last months wage

taratill :

Hi they are not entitled to withhold your wages it is unlawful and amounts to an unlawful deduction from wages. I would suggest you now write to them to say that if it is not paid within 7 days you will have no alternative but to raise a claim.

taratill :

You can do so using the form you will find at www.employmenttribunals.gov.uk

taratill :

Hopefully sending the letter or email will make them pay without you having to bring the claim.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. If i have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. ;Thank you and all the best.

Customer:

Ok I have done this. Unfortunately I am so ill its difficult to deal with things at minute.

Customer:

I have been a manager for 10 years. I find this so unprofessional and ridiculous.

Customer:

What do I do if they don't pay on the 7 days

Customer:

I have asked them to pick up there paperwork with courier today. Honestly I am never of I am having blood tests at minute. Its so upsetting that they can do this?

taratill :

You need first to contact ACAS and enter the Early Concilliation process which hopefully will result in them paying you without having to go to Tribunal.

taratill :

Full details of the early concilliation can be found at http://www.acas.org.uk/earlyconciliation

taratill :

They should not need your health information to pay you for work already done. They may ask for health information to make decisions about you future employment.

taratill :

I would suggest you phone ACAS at the end of the 7 day period to start the early concilliation process. I do hope you can resolve this. MOst employers do not treat employees in this way.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask.