12826847

I sold my car on 23rd April 2014. The tax was due on 1st May.

Customer Question

I sold my car on 23rd April 2014. The tax was due on 1st May. I sent off my section of the V5 to the DVLA, eventually had a letter which I haven't been able to find now, saying that I'm no longer the registered keeper. As the tax wasn't renewed on time, and they took a while to process the change in registered keeper details, they've issued me a penalty notice for £80 for an unpaid licence fee.
I wrote to them explaining that I had sent in the slip to them when I sold the car, and had received a letter of acknowledgement. I also enclosed a receipt with the date I sold the car.
I received a letter back today basically saying that I need to pay the £80 fine because my acknowledgement letter is dated later than the commencement of enforcement procedures. At the end of the letter it says that they believe their decision is correct and appropriate and that although I can request a Dispute form "simply disagreeing with our decision would not to sufficient cause to enter the dispute process".
What else can I do to fight this?
Are you prepared to go to court over this?