13262538

HI I shared a house with joint tenancy with my ex partner

Customer Question

HI I shared a house with joint tenancy with my ex partner , I moved out in may 2013 her remained , when he left he owed four months rent totalling 2,000 our land lord has taken it to court and today I have received a court judgment saying I have to pay the money owing is there any thing I can do to make my ex pay for this and I have lost my deposit of 600 because of this , thank you for your help
Has the Landlord taken action against you both?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes as it was a joint tenancy agreement, I have been informed by the court that I will have to pay half the amount back thank you

So far as the Landlord is concerned this is indeed a Joint and Several debt and yes you will have to pay at least half of the debt.
HOWEVER you can then issue court proceedings against your ex to recover however much you have had to pay since the debt was his
You can use this service to claim the funds
https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details