31090051

My friend is a widow aged 79 approaching 80 who receives a

My friend is a widow aged 79 approaching 80 who receives a NHS Widow's pension which is still subject to the 1995 Act. It states that she cannot remarry or cohabit without losing her pension.
The problem is this - can she have a male friend, who lives in another town, stop at weekends to avoid driving back and forth over 30 miles each way all the time? She is worried this will jeopardize her pension.
The NHS pension help line say that stopping at weekends will not be a problem the pension is only stopped if you live as man and wife however there does not appear to be a definition anywhere indicating what is allowed or not.
Can you help?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Cohabiting or living as man and wife means living together permanently at bed and board. It will not apply to a friend, male or otherwise, who comes to stay at weekends. That is not a permanent living arrangement and he presumably has his own house.
This will not affect her pension.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Can I help you further with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, I will let her know- I presume that the interpretation you have given is also held by the trustees of the NHS Scheme. Is this the case do you think?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have already rated your reply earlier this morning and posed a further query - I would appreciate your opinion

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply and rating. The pension trustees are bound by the law. Having a friend to stay at weekends is not "legally cohabiting".
Customer: replied 2 years ago.