Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

We bought a solid wood floor from Floors to Go and paid for

We bought a solid wood floor from Floors to Go and paid for it in full by Debit. The amount was £995 including VAT.
Now the company says that it was the old firm that took the order. The new firm (by the same name and at the same location) will not refund the money or supply the floor.
What steps can I take to get the money or the floor?
Valerie A Bram (Dr)
Expert:  Jenny replied 3 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today? What do they mean by old firm?

Customer:

From what I can gather, they closed the 'old' company (possibly bankrupt) and started up again the following day - you know how it works.

taratill :

Yes that old scam! Can they prove you paid the old company and not the new one by showing evidence on an invoice?

Customer:

I have scanned the invoice into the computer and can send it on if necessary. Not having paid with a credit card was a mistake!

Customer:

<photo.jpeg>
Full Size Image

taratill :

You have less protection with a debit card. You need to phone trading standards to inform them of this issue and to ask them to give you a report number.

taratill :

You should then write to the company to say that you either want your money refunded or your floor and that you do not accept that they do not have liability for this as they are still trading from the same premises.

taratill :

You should give them 7 days to put matters right and say that if they do not then you will issue a small claim against them.

Customer:

Would the small claims court be any help? The 'new' company originally promised to deliver the floor but has gone silent now.

taratill :

If the new company 'promised' to deliver and failed then they are in breach of contract.

Customer:

Verbal promise.

taratill :

You can also threaten to contact the local press. They will not want the bad publicity.

taratill :

A verbal promise is still binding it is just harder to prove.

taratill :

I would not give up on this.

Customer:

OK. I'll give it my best shot. It's like fighting cotton wool!!!! Thanks for your advice.

taratill :

No problem. I hope you sort it out. If you have any further questiosn please ask. If i have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.