Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

i have been bitten beyond belief by bedbugs in a travalodge

i have been bitten beyond belief by bedbugs in a travalodge hotel they have offered me £50 compensation as good will and reinburse my bill of £200 i have over 100 bites and have had to get medical help and lost 2 days of work. the bites are that bad they are bleeding and i feel awful today (2 days after the bites) i went to reception at 2.am and sat up all night rather than go back to the room.they have admitted the room had infestation but have blamed everybody but the hotel for the problem saying the bugs can be from trains coaches pretty much everybody but them.the bites are significant and and some are as big as boils.can i claim real compensation from them rather than the insulting 50 pounds.i have also thrown cloths away rather than risk cross contamination to my home which apparently can happen
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Have you been told how much time you are likely to need to take of work as a result of this?

Customer:

i work for my self and run a business.the bites are enormous and are as big as boils they are painful and i am going to see the emergency doctor today because some are bleeding and i have been advised they could scar or even give me long term health issues extremily painful

taratill :

Hello it is possible that if you suffer permanent scarring then you could bring a personal injury type claim against them. At this stage you do not know whether this is a possiblity or not so if you do accept compensation I would advise that you do not, in accepting, waive your rights to bringing a future personal injury claim.

taratill :

YOur other potential claim would be under the Supply of Goods and Services Act and would be based on your economic losses resulting from the poor service you received.

taratill :

This would amount to your lost income etc.

taratill :

It is certainly worth seeking a sum of money which reflects your actual losses.

taratill :

If you have household insurance it may contain access to free legal advice insurance which is probably worth exploring.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. if I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Customer:

what about the fact i have been bitten as bad as i have do they not have a duty of care.We go into they hotels expecting to get quality clean rooms not be ravaged by bedbugs.its the 50 pounds that i find insulting.I could not to into a customers home yesterday for fear of spreading the bugs into the clients home and sat up all nigh in a travaloge reception with no sleep

taratill :

Hi yes they do owe a duty of care and this why you are entitled to compensation as I have mentioned above. Compensation in UK law is however normally limited to financial loss. If you suffer a personal injury such as scarring then you will be entitled to additional compensation.

taratill :

This means that you should seek compensation for lost income, the cost of the room and the clothes that you have thrown away. You should also ensure you still have the right in the future to claim personal injury, should scarring occur.

taratill :

Please let me know if there is anything further you would like to know about this?

Customer:

last question what about the bites surly being bitten to the extent i have means they should offer me something i have video of the bugs and photos of the bites. i have been attcked by a large number of bugs whilst in their care

taratill :

I would suggest that you send copies of the video and photos along with your request for compensation. Itemise the claims which have financial value so that they can see what your actual financial losses. You can also ask for an extra sum of money for you inconvenience. Whilst this is not something that you will be able to claim in the court, which limits compensation to financial loss, the company may be willing to pay to avoid you sending the photos to the press.

Customer:

thank you

Jenny, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only