Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I require information on a personal data issue. A company I

I require information on a personal data issue. A company I worked for have accessed my social media and personal email accounts and used the information contained in my personal messages against a current member of staff who works in an overseas office. The messages have been printed and supplied to all current members of staff. I would like to know if there is any course of action available to me regarding the breach of my privacy - the police recommended I take legal advice.
Expert:  Jenny replied 3 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. I take it from your question you are no longer employed by them, can you confirm this is the case?

Customer:

Yes i was made redundant the messages are all after i left the company

taratill :

Do you know how they have managed to access these accounts?

Customer:

I logged out of all sites when i left so I am assuming they guessed my passwords and hacked the account

taratill :

and the police are not interested in taking action against them?

Customer:

they said it was more of a civil action

taratill :

Ok that's what I thought they would say but just thought i would confirm.

taratill :

Have you suffered any financial loss as a result of this?

Customer:

no financial loss, is there not a law potting your privacy

Customer:

protecting

taratill :

Hi unless you suffer a financial loss then civil law will not provide a solution to your problem. It is quite convenient for the police to say that as this is an employment relationship (or ex one) that criminal laws do not apply. This is a fairly standard response. You can report the issue to the Information Commissioner though as this is in breach of Data Protection principles. You will find the details of how to report at www.ico.org.uk

taratill :

I would suggest you also speak to the police to ask them to clarify on what basis they do not believe this is a criminal matter given that your accounts have been hacked.

Customer:

Ok thank you