UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hello. My family business was hoping to buy the freehold of

Hello. My family business was hoping to buy the freehold of the property we lease, the landlord advised us in July he wanted to sell and was going to arrange lunch where our daughter Amy, who,runs the business to talk about us buying it. She advised him that we did want to purchase it but the other directors were away and he said he would would be happy to wait until we returned. He advised a few weeks ago that he had accepted an offer from someone else! This came after an email from him to Amy stating that he would not accept an offer without speaking to her first. Just how binding, if at all, is that email? If not to help us secure the freehold, maybe to use it to attempt to be released from the remaining 6 years of lease?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I am afraid that email is not binding as any sale would be subject to formal written contract but you could use it to try and negotiate with the current landlord to release you early from your lease.

But, if he refuses, I am afraid you would be tied in to the remaining 6 years.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply, I was hopeful, but we will have to try and negotiate our release as best we can.
Welcome.

Please leave your review.