12826847

Is it possible to get an indemnity to protect a future purchaser

Customer Question

Is it possible to get an indemnity to protect a future purchaser of my house against potential flood risk? I am about to put my house on the market, and the fields behind my property flooded early this year due to land drainage issues. These issues are in the process of being fixed by the land owner but I don't want potential buyers to use that as a bargaining tool so I was thinking of taking out an indemnity to cover this risk.

Has the property ever been flooded?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, though it didn't get into the house and didn't cause any permanent damage. It flooded our garden, but only because the landowner behind my property hadn't maintained the land drain and their was a blockage. This is now being fixed. However, it will show up in searches as the council have been involved.
An indemnity policy is another name for an insurance policy and this is the kind of thing that is covered by a normal household insurance policy
There is no separate indemnity policy that covers this that I have ever heard of.
The usual kind of indemnity policies are in respect of missing deeds or easements or an absent landlord and are a one off premium to cover a conveyancing risk when someone buys the property as opposed to a risk with the actual property itself.
The same thing applies to chimney pots falling off, accidental damage and suchlike.
Your buyer therefore would just be faced with taking their own insurance policy out.
What you could do is make some enquiries through an insurance company or a mortgage broker so that you can confirm that insurance is available by a future buyer if the question of flooding does crop up.
Remember that caveat emptor applies and you do not have to volunteer anything about the flooding unless specifically asked or unless you actually want to.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the response Jo. So, just to confirm:

1. I don't need to declare it to any potential buyers

2. A standard household insurance policy with flood risk included would be adequate protection for a potential buyer

The local council have been involved and are enforcing the land drainage act with the land owner where the blocked land drain is. Would this show up in any searches that a potential buyer would take out?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the response Jo.

Also, just to confirm:

• I don't need to declare it to any potential buyers?

• A standard household insurance policy with flood risk included would be adequate protection for a potential buyer?

Steve

I will look at this now.
It may show up on the local search but not necessarily as it is against the neighbouring property and not yours. Whether you had to disclose this really comes down to whether it has ever become an issue between you and the
neighbour that could be classed as (even remotely) a dispute.
The fact that you may be aware of something doesn't necessarily mean that you have to disclose it but the fact that there has been an issue with the neighbour which could loosely be called a dispute and the question about disputes is specifically asked, in standard enquiries, you may want to disclose it.
There is the question anyway as to whether a property has ever been flooded.
Remember that caveat emptor applies and unless a question is asked, you don't have to disclose anything