Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

I am a self employed groundsman specialising on cricket grounds

I am a self employed groundsman specialising on cricket grounds .
Have been approached by a Sri Lankan national that would like work based training in this field. They spent a week last winter in the UK on a groundsmanship course run by the Institute of Groundsman,and currently are working on a ground in Sri Lanka.
I would be prepared to offer training and meet living expenses ,
Can this be done ? if so what do i need to do ? what do they need to provide?
i have looked at www.uk.gov/im migration / sponsor and other websites , but they are not explicit concerning my trade can you help
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes please continue ,

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Can you explain a little more. Are you going to pay this person? how long is he going to be in the UK for? Does he intend to stay long term? why are you offering this opportunity? Do you generally offer training?
Let me know some more background please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i will give him board and lodgeing, It will cover the summer season .beneficial dates would be beginning of April until the end of September. They will bring some money of their own .I had not intended to pay a set wage maybe a small weekly allowance but clearly i want to be legal.

i am offering this opportunity having met the person attending a groundsmans course last winter ,he was part of a Sri Lankan delegation that spent a week in the UK on a training course that i helped out with.Expressed a keen interest to work a season in the UK

It is not something i have done before ,hence the enquiry,but mindful of the governments tighter regulation re immigration etc.I have also told them that they would need to have a return ticket.

My business consists of just me looking after 4 cricket grounds ,i have never employed anyone before. I have also been asked to be pitch inspector for Hertfordshire ,which may put further demands on my time so have help that has attended this course will be very useful.

so i need to know is this possible? if so would i have to register him as an employee and inform HMRC ? or can it be done on a educational basis ?

Hi if he is coming to the UK to work then he needs a visa to do this and you would have to register as sponsor and apply for tier 2 visa. This is not cheap and your sponsorship licence can cost £500 and the visa can cost the same.
This does not seem very practical for a short term engagement and I am not convinced that you would get the visa as their must be many people in the uk or EU who might be interested in such a role.
He might b e better of applying for a short term study visa - see here https://www.gov.uk/study-visit-visa
Or coming as an unpaid visitor. He would not be able to bring his family in if he came on a study visa.
What you are proposing does not fit easily into the current immigration regime and whilst there is nothing in theory to prevent you form applying for a sponsors licence and then a tier 2 work permit , it is a lot of cost and trouble for a short term hiring.
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor with more than 30 years experience