29905560

I applied for a loan from the unsecured loan company online.

Customer Question

I applied for a loan from the unsecured loan company online. They approved it and sent me the agreement and asked for the first instalment in advance which was £165'00' the loan was for £5000 to go towards my daughter"s wedding. Then came more fees which I was told would be refundable with the loan.I managed to get the loan elsewhere and the wedding came and went and still no loan from this company. I started to realise I had been scammed but they called me to say the loan was ready to go into my account I just had to pay the last fee of £636 for their credit department to release the funds in 15mins. Because I had paid in almost £13000.00 I went ahead as I wanted my money back. Still no money. Now they are saying they want more fees as it has taken so long to process my application and they are refusing to return my money as they say it is with their portal department. I know I have been a fool. I have reported them to the police but can only go through to action fraud which takes up to 28days to reply which gives them time to close office and run.HELP
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What would you like to know about this situation?

JACUSTOMER-whucjhka- :

HI Ben. I want to know if as a customer I have a right to a refund to the fees I have paid as I still have not received my loan.

JACUSTOMER-whucjhka- :

I need to know if as a customer I am entitled to claim the fees back as I have not received the loan . They are saying it cannot be cancelled and require more fees and they will put application on hold until it is paid.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have rated this as a bad service because you have not replied to my question. I have received about 10 emails asking me to rate you in order for you to be credited instead.

Hi if you check above in fact I am yet to hear from you with a response to my initial query above, so that is why I have not yet responded to your query...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ben

This is very complicated. I just want to know what my rights are with this company. Do you think I am entitled to claim the fees I have paid as they are refusing to cancel my application but are saying to pay more fees for it to be completed.

As you have probably already realised you have been involved in a scam. Loan companies do not typically require such fees in advance and if any fees are required they would usually add them to the loan amount and you will repay it with your regular repayments. The fact that they keep coming back for more and more fees and payment requests just confirms that they are simply trying their luck for as long as they can and trying to get any money they can from you until they are uncovered. You will also note that you have not even received a penny from them yet and that is another big clue.
So whilst legally you are owed that money from them and can try to pursue it, in practice this is going to be rather difficult. Fraudsters rarely end up paying back what they have taken in the process of a scam and many people can end up spending even more money trying to unsuccessfully recoup their losses. I am saying all of this from experience in working in the fraud examiner section on our site and the fact I have witnessed many different scams. I would say that less than 1% ever get anything back.
You are free to take the company to court but I very much doubt they will even bother defending the claim or appearing. You will get a judgment against them but you still have to enforce it. You need to engage bailiffs or find other methods of enforcing this. Knowing how fraudsters work they would have hidden or transferred any assets available so the enforcement options will have a limited effect. It means you can continue spending more and more money trying to pursue this but without getting any closer, so that is a considerable risk.
I do not want to bring bad news but I also need to be realistic and not give you false hope. You have options as mentioned above but they are rather risky so be aware of that. Also do not worry about their refusal to cancel your application – that application is not worth the paper it was written on, you will not get into any trouble by refusing to pay them anything extra or by not dealing with them again – they are just opportunistic fraudsters who have managed to scam you of some money already but do not fall further for that and cut your losses by cutting your ties with them.,
I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to update your earliert rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI Ben

Thank you for replying. I knew deeply that I had been scammed but did not want to believe I had let myself fall in this trap and feel very stupid about it. I am still receiving emails from them to which I am no longer answering. I am very sad to have lost so much money which has caused me financially problems but I have learnt a big lesson the hard way. Thanks for confirming what I was doubting. I am very disappointed the police are referring me to action fraud which takes 28 days to reply which gives this company time to run. They are still answering their phones and using the same email address.

Marie

Hi Marie, you have nothing to lose by pursuing this through Action Fraud, they have helped victims of fraud in the past but do not have great expectations at this stage and anything positive that may come out of it would be a bonus