12826847

i had a case with an estate agent and I went to the Property

i had a case with an estate agent and I went to the Property Ombudsman and complained and they took up the case with the agent . they heard both sides of our story and judged in my favour and requested the estate agent to refund my registration fee which they refused to returned initially. the Estate agent was given 25 days to comply but they have refused to give back my money. My worry is if they refused to give this money back , there is very little the Ombudsman can do. the ombudsman have said that that they intend to discipline the agent for refusal to comply but my money is still not recovered. what else can I do ? Now that the ombudsman has almost completed their work and does look powerless to do so much towards the recovery of my money. I cannot take them to court because a large amount of this money I am trying to recover will be gone by the end of the case by lawyers fees . How can I redress this issue and get my money back (about 4000pounds )
There is no reason why you cannot take this to the Small Claims Court yourself. There is no need for solicitors because you would not recover those costs in any event.
You can easily issue Small Claims Court proceedings against the agent by following this link www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
You can then use the ombudsman's decision as part of your evidence in court.
The money claim system is designed for people to use in the Small Claims Court and to be done without legal representation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo,

what do you mean by small claims court and how do they operate ?

The court for claims of small value.
You can issue here
www.moneyclaim.gov.uk