75100385

I know Tesco is very much in the news at the moment, but I

I know Tesco is very much in the news at the moment, but I have had a long-running dispute with the company over a disastrous kitchen installation by Mark Two, a Tesco subsidiary. A job which should have been completed by the end of May ended up, with appallingly poor and illegal standards, lasting until the end of August. Along the way their fitter, who apparently has a history of violence towards clients, especially women, walked out on the first day after spitting and swearing at me, a female client, and a huge row with my neighbour. He walked off with valuable property of mine. Subsequently at least 13 men worked on this small job, many unqualified pensioners. For example, no one seemed to know that electric sockets should not be fitted above the kitchen sink. To make it worse, I run a bed and breakfast business and have lost my summer, the main season.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I communicate with you?

You can post on here?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't understand any of this. I should like to withdraw.

I see the expert has opted out.
Could you please let me know who did you pay please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I paid through Paypal

You paid the kitchen install company through Paypal?
Who did you pay Tesco or Mark Two?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I paid the company Tesco Mark Two

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I paid a company called Tesco Mark Two. They advertise themselves as Tesco.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I paid Tesco Mark Two in advance and by debit card

Ok - how much have you paid them?
I assume you want a refund?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I paid £8,882.51 in two instalments prior to fitting. They have offered £1,323.16 in compensation. They say this is according to 'industry guidelines.' They say they cannot say what action, if any, has been taken against the violent thug and thief they sent as a fitter due to 'data protection laws.'

I wrote a long letter of complaint to Philip Clarke the CEO who was sacked shortly afterwards.

I feel that I have not been given what I paid for. The design was so poor there was no room for the washing machine, which has had to be put in the outside lavatory. A plinth one of the fitters said would 'drop in time' does not reach the floor. There is so much wrong it's too exhausting to itemise.

Tesco say that I have ended up with a kitchen - but I had a kitchen before, with a washing machine and a b&b business.

Their employees are unpleasant to deal with and seem on the edge of aggression towards me as if this is all my fault. This job I was told would last four to seven days took four and a half months and is shoddy throughout.

What is you want? A refund from them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I feel a refund is fair as they have not provided the standard of kitchen promised within a time which is reasonable. This does not take into account my lost earnings.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help and succinct advice. I have just received a bill for almost £800 from my solicitor who did not mention the small claims court but offered to write a letter for a further similar amount on my behalf - he didn't mention what he would say. I shall cut my losses there.

You've been incredibly helpful, thank you.

Great. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience