75100385

I have booked and paid for flights through CityJet from Cambridge

I have booked and paid for flights through CityJet from Cambridge Airport to Dublin on 7th November, returning on 9th November. I just read in my local paper that CityJet have decided to withdraw all flights to Dublin (no one from CityJet has contacted me)
At this stage, to re-book through RyanAir is going to cost me an additional £169.96 (flights and transport to Stansted Airport)
I know that CityJet will have to refund me the cost of the flights, but what recourse do I have to get compensation for the additional cost?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : What do their terms and conditions say about withdrawing flights and alternative arrangements please?
Customer:

17.2 Flight Cancellations

If we cancel a flight we will endeavour to contact you in advance (via phone or email) through the contact details presented to the airline or authorised agent at the time of booking. We shall act in accordance with the Montreal Convention and EC regulation 261/2004 and except as otherwise provided therein and subject to Article 6.2.4, we shall at your option; 6.2.1 carry you at the earliest opportunity on another of our scheduled services on which space is available without additional charge and, where necessary, extend the validity of your ticket or:

- Within a reasonable period of time re-route you to the destination shown on your Ticket by our own services or those of another Carrier, or by other mutually agreed means and class of transportation without additional charge or
- Make a refund in accordance with the provisions of Article 9.
- When a flight is cancelled the options outlined in Article 6.2.1 through to 6.2.3 are the sole and exclusive remedies available to you and we shall have no further liability to you. Notwithstanding the foregoing, we shall not be liable to you for any loss or damage occasioned by such cancellation and the remedies mentioned in Article 6.2.1 through to 6.2.3 will be available to you at our discretion, if we have taken all reasonably necessary measures to avoid the damage or it was impossible for us to take such measures.

Customer:

Taken from https://www.cityjet.com/flying-with-us/terms-and-conditions/

Alex Watts :

Its bad news I am afraid. Their terms say they can re-route or provide a different carrier or indeed provide a refund

Alex Watts :

If that is the case and they refund you sadly they are not obliged to compensate for your additional cost.

Alex Watts :

If you have travel insurance though then they may well cover you for this type of event

Alex Watts :

But based on the terms and conditions you do not have a claim.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Hi Alex,

Customer:

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I didn't think I was entitled to compensation, but thought it was worth asking. I have raised a complaint directly with CityJet.

Customer:

Thanks again, great service.

Alex Watts :

Indeed, I think that is all you can do but its always worth confirming the legal position first.