Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

An online game company has confirmed in writing that they will

An online game company has confirmed in writing that they will refund my in game purchases. however now they are refusing to do so. What should i do?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Is the company based in the UK?

Customer:

many thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure to be honest. the address isn't on the website.

taratill :

Ok so there are no company details of the website at all? :What website is it?

Customer:

http://www.game-insight.com/en/about/team

Customer:

in the last email I received it states that the address is on the company website. again i can't find it.

Customer:

Full Size Image

taratill :

Why do you require a refund?

Customer:

because the game froze up. i rebooted my machine, restarted the game and it still wouldn't work. when i thwn uninstalled it and reinstalled it all the progress i had made was lost. as i had made in game purchases these were now useless. hence the request for a refund.

taratill :

Ok what was the value of the purchase and did you pay by credit card?

Customer:

£14.96 & yes

taratill :

Ok thanks, ***** ***** think that it is going to be difficult for you to get your money back. This vendor does not appear to be based in the UK and the contractual terms state that any contract is subject to the laws of the British Virgin Islands. There is no problem with you persisting in trying to get a refund but if they fail to UK courts would not have jurisdiction to hear any claim and in addition , as there is no address on the website, there is no way of knowing exactly where these people are located. I am sorry that my answer is not more positive but I would advise that in the future you ascertain that the company you are dealing with are either based in the UK or are transparent as to where they are located. The reason I asked if you had paid on your credit card is that purchases over £100 are protected by the card itself. This is obviously not the case here.

Customer:

so total i want back from them is £45.96

taratill :

I would suggest you contact your local trading standards to inform them that this company is trading in this way as they will want to collate a list of rogue websites.

Customer:

ok thanks for the advise. In which case I'll make sure that it's known all over social media. Its not slander when its true correct?

taratill :

Correct.

Customer:

excellent. thanks for the advise.